GRADUATE SPIRIT and the Moldovan Higher Education Institutions.
The Graduate SPIRIT website proved to be an excellent tool for informing universities that are in the process of building up graduate schools. In the frame of a kick off workshop within the Erasmus+ Project for academic mobility between the Leipzig University and the Moldovan HEI we offered a panel about the organisation of doctoral studies in the European Higher Education Area.
Based on the information on the blueprints (“tips and tricks”) that were developed in the Graduate SPIRIT project, the participants (mostly faculty deans) could be supported in their tasks of implementing graduate schools according to “European models” at their home universities.
Participants of the workshop were faculty members, deans and vice rectors from following universities in Moldova:
• Moldavian State University (full university with all subjects except medicine)
• State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemitanu” (Medicine and Pharmacy)
• Moldavian Technical University (engineering, IT and natural sciences)
• Cahul State University “Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu” (humanities and social sciences, economics)
• Tiraspol State University (teaching position with a focus on mathematics and computer science)
• State University Balti “Alecu Russo” (philology, teaching degree with a focus on foreign languages)
We discussed the general question, how to start a Graduate School, further the issue of advantages and disadvantages of a graduate school in the form of an umbrella organization or of a thematic school, in general the size of a unit. The demand for ideas for financing opportunities of PhD candidates was not in the foreground, but the financing of the faculty. The participants were highly interested in the best practice to establish a curriculum and a PhD training at their universities.
Update March 2020: On 3 April 2020 a follow up meeting was planned between the Moldovan Higher Education Institutions and the Leipzig University in which the Graduate Spirit best practices and innovations would be elaborated on. Due to the Corona virus and its impact on Europe this meeting was cancelled.